Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Why?

I've been thinking a lot lately about the subject I like to call fake-ism, so I figured I'd write it down and post it on here. Just so you know, this REALLY bugs me.

Why do people have to try to be like everyone else? What ever happened to originality? To being yourself? To not caring what other people think? Why do you even JUDGE other people's styles/hobbies/whatever?

I notice in my area, I don't know if it's everywhere else or not (okay, yeah right, of course it's everywhere else, it's faking--excuse me, TAKING--over the world), that everyone's extremely self-conscious, everyone tries to look better than the other person...all designer clothes, makeup, oh yeah, and it's not just looks either, you HAVE to be a cheerleader or on the basketball team or in chorus. But do NOT be in art or band class, 'cause sorry but that's just weird. Sigh...

See, look at me. I'm pretty (and I don't have a huge ego, I'm just going by what my family and friends have said), but I don't wear much makeup and I don't honestly have the money to go out and buy a $50 pair of jeans, so am I popular? No, for the most part I get ignored. I probably would be popular if I DID waste all my money on clothes and makeup that isn't even worth it, but I'm not and I don't plan to start! If you don't like me because of that, well, do I look like I care? Not a bit.

I am just so sick of seeing people like that...a lot of it is based on tv, magazines and movies, of course. Especially magazines (look at HER! And look at that $1,500 designer bag she's got!). But...why do you let it drag you in?

Don't you want to be able to do what you know in your heart you really like to do?

Just because he's skinny and has glasses, how do you know he wouldn't turn out to be an awesome friend, and I bet you'd have a lot in common if you'd just give it a chance!

Yeah, she sits in the corner alone with her earphones in and constantly has her head down, writing in her notebook, but that doesn't mean she's emo and how do you know she wouldn't want to talk to you? I bet she's really nice if other people would give her the time of day!

I notice that the best of friends tend to be "outcasts" by the standards of the popular crew. But who would you rather have as your friend--someone who's caring and loyal and shares your interests, or someone who's shallow and close-minded and would ditch you in a heartbeat for someone who's more popular?

As for myself... I think I'm going to do what I LIKE to do, dress how I LIKE to dress, be in which classes I WANT to be in, and remain who I am. No one is going to make me think otherwise! Because, to be honest with you, I like who I am!


Fake

The terrors of battle are far too severe
There can be no hope of surviving it here

When darkness erodes all the sounds of the soul
You'll lose every aspect and sense of control

Where are you hiding, you've been gone for ages
I don't recognize the face on those pages...

3 comments:

Phat Love said...

I like to shop at thrift stores because you find really cool clothes and its cheap (: Does that mean im not gonna "fit in"? nope, i got my 3 friends ... ok 4 buds, lol (:

I love the rant and see all the points, which i agree with!! the poem at the end was a great ending and i love reading your blogs :)

your so down to earth and cool, i hope you never change, because you sound like the kinda person who is never gonna care, and i love that!! ;D

SabrinaRK said...

About most things, you're right. Thank you (:

Happy Elf Mom (Christine) said...

Hi, Sabrina! Stopping in from Zachary's place. I'd like to think it isn't ONLY about the clothes. Have you noticed that the really popular kids all have the same 'attitude' as well? You just can't buy that stuff. :P